To Get Personalised contents and be able to add items to your favourites, please Sign In or Sign Up          

FG: Negotiation with Boko Haram Not Deadlocked

News » Politics

IMAGE: Mr. Mohammed Adoke, Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice »


The federal government on Tuesday said the negotiations with the Islamist sect, Boko Haram,  on the ceasefire agreement and the release of the abducted Chibok girls was not deadlocked as is being insinuated in some quarters.

This came as the acting Inspector General of Police, (IG) Suleiman Abba, told journalists after a meeting that about 30 of the policemen abducted by the insurgents in Gwoza were still missing.

Briefing State House correspondents on the fallout of the National Security Council (NSC) meeting held at the Presidential Villa for over two hours, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Mohammed Adoke (SAN), disclosed that the service chiefs briefed the council on the developments with regards to the negotiations with the terrorist group.

The delibrations at the security meeting came as suspected members of the Boko Haram sect invaded another Borno town, Kukawa, where they killed three persons and set ablaze some public buildings.

However, Adoke told journalists that the negotiation on the anticipated release of the over 200 Chibok girls was still on course, raising the hope that the talks may not have been deadlocked as being speculated in certain quarters.

He urged Nigerians to exercise patience and show understanding on the efforts being  made by the federal government to address the situation.

In a related development, the acting IG, Abba, told journalists  after the meeting that about 30 of the policemen abducted by the insurgents in Gwoza were still missing.

He added that he was optimistic that they are still alive, disclosing that most of those officers found alive were seen united with their families opting not to report to the authorities because of the trauma they suffered in the hands if their abductors.

According to him, there was every possibility that those officers currently declared missing might have chosen to secretly unite with their families without the knowledge of the police authorities.

Those in attendance at the meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan included the Vice-President, Alhaji Namadi Sambo, all the service chiefs and the Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, with his Justice counterpart.

Meanwhile in Kukawa, among the buildings set ablaze by the insurgents included the headquarters of Kukawa Local Government Area, a police station, government lodge, among others.

A resident of the town,  Mallam Kaka Kukawa, informed journalists in Maiduguri that the insurgents stormed the town in several Hilux van and motorcycles and moved straight to the police station, shooting rocket propelled grenade sporadically.

He said: “The insurgents razed down the Kukawa Divisional Police Station and some public buildings in the town.

“I cannot tell  the casualty figure because we had to flee the town for the fear of our lives.”
Another resident of the town, Modu Mohammed,  said they had to flee the town due to the attack as the insurgents killed three persons and burnt down Kukawa police station and government lodge.

Many houses and other public buildings, including clinic and vehicles of the company exploring oil in the Chad Basin area, were also burnt.

Narrating the incident, he said the insurgents laid siege on the town at about 4a.m. and had a field day till about 10p.m. on Monday.

According to him, they departed the town after they were satisfied with the killing and the burning of houses and vehicles.

He claimed that “the attack was a reprisal to an attack earlier attempt by the men of the Nigerian Police who were on routine patrol in the area and opened fire on the insurgents who were able to kill  two policemen and they lost unverified number of their members.”

Confirming the incident, the caretaker Chairman of Kukawa Local Government Area Alhaji Modu Musa said the insurgents invaded the town, killing many people, burning down the whole town including over 300 vehicles.

Efforts to get to the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Gideon Jibrin, for confirmation was unsuccessful as his phone was switched off as at the time of filing this report.

Article Credit: Thisdaylive

Updated 5 Years ago

Find Us On Facebook

Tags:     Federal Government     President Goodluck Jonathan     Chibok girls     Suleiman Abba     Mr. Mohammed Adoke     Boko Haram     Mallam Kaka Kukawa     DSP Gideon Jibrin