UNIVERSITY OF ABUJA
Business Directory »
The University took off from a temporary site, made up of three blocks of building meant for a primary school in Gwagwalada, tagged the "mini - campus". Academic activities started on the mini - campus in 1990. In the same year, the University was allocated an expanse of land covering over 11,800 hectares along the Abuja - Abuja road for the development of its main campus.
Location of the university
The University now operates from both its Main Campus, along Abuja Airport Road, and the Mini - Campus in Gwagwalada. Currently, the Administrative Building and the Faculty of Arts are on the Main Campus. More faculties are expected to relocate to the Main Campus from Gwagwalada in due course. The distance learning offices of the University are located within the municipality(Garki) where contact sessions of the programmme are also held.
Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
- Department of Anatomical Science - Professor S.A Asala
- Department of Medical Biochemistry - Professor H.A Abdlkarim
- Department of Human Physiology - Dr. A.B. Adelaiye
- Department Nursing Science
Faculty of Basic Clinical Science
- Department of Pathology - Professor E.J.C Nwana
- Department of Haematogy and Blood Transfusion - Dr. O.E. Nnodu
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Pharmacy and Therapeutics
- Department of Chemical Pathology
Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Department of Anaethesia
- Department of Internal Medicine
- Department of Surgery
- Department of Paediatrics
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Department of Community Medicine - Dr. A.M Jamda
- Department of Radiology
- Department of Opthalmology
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Family Medicine.
School of Postgraduate Studies
Faculty of Arts
- Department of English & Literary Studies
- Department of History
- Department of Theatre Arts
- Department of Philosophy and Religion
- Department of Linguistics & African Languages
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
- Department of CropScience
- Department of Animal Science
- Department of Soil Science
- Department of Food and Nutrition Science
- Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries
- Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Faculty of Education
Faculty of Engineering
- Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Deparment of Civil Engineering
- Department of Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Department of Computer engineering
- Department of mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Science
- Department of Biological Sciences -
- Department of Chemistry -
- Department of Mathematics,
- Department of Statistics - Prof. M.O. Adewale B.Sc,M.Sc,Ph.D.(ABU)
- Department of Computer Science - Dr M.B. Hamawa
- Department of Physics -
Faculty Management Sciences
Faculty of Social Sciences
- Department of Economics
- Department of Geography
- Department of Political Sciences & International Relations
- Department ofSociology
The University has set up, as a matter of priority, a Computer Centre that is well equipped to provide computing facilities to support teaching, research, consultancy and administrative activities for all Units in the University. Appropriate modern hardware and software as well as highly skilled personnel are being made available to the Centre to enable it meet the diverse needs of its customers. The Centre is charged with the responsibility of making the University community computer-literate. In addition, it will offer its services to commercial houses and private individuals and organizations in order to generate revenue. The Centre handles all activities relating to information and communication technology (ICT) of the University. These include INTERNET (provided through a VSAT) connectivity and support for the Nigerian Universities Network.
The Centre for Distance Learning and Continuing Education is not left out of the ICT infrastructure. The centre is equipped with computers, VSATs. Almost all the activities of the centre are done online.
In support of the University Administration, the Computing Centre maintains and operates the computerized records of students. These records include personal information, and details of registrations, examinations and transcripts.
The following training programmes are available:
- Computer Operations and Application (Covers Literacy, Windows Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Word, Desktop publishing).
- Computer Application and Data Processing (Covers Literacy, Windows, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, CorelDraw, Microsoft Word and SPSS).
- Word Processing and Desktop Publishing (Covers Literacy, Microsoft Word, PageMaker, CorelDraw).
- Computer Programming - languages taught include: C++, Visual dBase, Visual Basic, PASCAL, FORTRAN, COBOL, Visual C++ , Web Applications, etc.
University of Abuja , STEP B Project
What is the STEP-B Project?
The STEP-B Project is a Nigerian project on Science and Technology Education at the Post-Basic Level (STEP-B).
What is the objective of the STEP-B Project?
The objective of the STEP-B project is to achieve two goals that relate to education and research in Nigeria:
(1) for Nigerian education and research institutions and their partners to produce more and better qualified science and technology graduates at the post-basic level
(2) and for these same institutions to produce higher quality and more relevant research
As the STEP-B project grows and its benefits become widespread four things will occur:
Increases in the number of students trained in science and technology (S&T)-related areas.
Improvements in quality (like more publications, more collaborations between researchers in the public and private sectors, and between institutions in education and in research, and between Nigerian institutions and their partners internationally).
Improvements in teaching and learning of S&T (these could include opportunities for better teacher training or improvements to technical and vocational education and training, or perhaps better use computers and the internet as tools in teaching and learning).
Improved relevance of S&T education and relevance to the needs of Nigeria.
Who can participate in the STEP-B Project?
Which institutions are eligible depends on the criteria established for each component of the project. Taken together, the three STEP-B Project components allow for a wide and diverse set of participants:
Post-basic education institutions (PBEIs) Private sector firms that partner with PBEIs Non-governmental organizations that partner with PBEIs Research institutions Government agencies Individuals supported by a PBEI Groups of researchers supported by a PBEI
Who supports the STEP-B Project?
The STEP-B Project is made possible through financial support of the Federal Government of Nigeria and the World Bank.
The mission of the University Library is to provide materials in support of the teaching and learning process in the main stream and the distance learning components. The Library takes it as a duty to:
- Provide materials to meet the requirements of faculty, postgraduate students and researchers.
- Provide materials to support Library users in their own personal development.
- Participate in a cooperative arrangement with a view to developing a network of academic library resources which can be put at the disposal of all bona fide library users.
- Meet the specialized information needs of the community in which the University is situated
The vision for the Library is to be a fully developed functional first class university library with up-to-date print and electronic resources that will meet the needs of the 21 st century faculty students and researchers.
Main Campus, Abuja Airport Road FCT Abuja
University of Abuja Nigeria