Ikoyi Club 1938 Golf Section, Lagos
Business Directory »
IKOYI CLUB 1938
Ikoyi Club 1938 is the product of two clubs, the European Club and The Lagos Golf Club. They became one on September 29th, 1938.
The foundation stone of the block was laid in 1938. The various sporting events that can be enjoyed at the club include Golf, Swimming, Lawn Tennis, Squash, Badminton, Table Tennis and Billiards/Snooker.
The club has grown from its “European Only” membership into one of the best examples of multiracial clubs with worldwide membership. The modern day Ikoyi Club 1038 is a story of success, occupies approximately 456 acres of land, and provides first class facilities for about 10,000 members.
There is a standard 18 hole golf course, which hosts The Nigerian Open Golf Championship attracting golfers from all over the world. The Lawn Tennis section has nine standard courts with a centre court complex with a capacity of sitting 1,000 spectators.
The club now has a fully air conditioned squash court with a rear wall of glass and a sitting gallery for spectators.
THE GOLF SECTION
The Golf Section started as Lagos Golf Club and was formally registered under the Land Perpetual Act (as No.2 in the books) in 1924. The landed property of the Lagos Golf Club was originally bounded by Kingsway Road extending to the remaining area of Osborne Road, the Federal Secretariat and Dodan Barracks. Over the years, parts of the Golf club land have been ceded to other owners and developed for different purposes.
In 1938, as a result of the desire of the Commonwealth Development Corporation (CDC) to build Ikoyi Hotel at the old site occupied by Ikoyi club, it was decided by the Colonial authorities to use a small part of the Lagos Golf Club land for the activities of the Ikoyi Club (which were mainly Swimming, Tennis and Indoor games).As an extension of this new arrangement and the fact that the family members of the expatriates used both facilities, it was also agreed that the two independent Clubs be amalgamated in 1938.
Therefore the Ikoyi club 1938 came into being on the 15th August 1938 14 years after the existence of the Lagos Golf Club in the same premises. The amalgamation terms made the Captain of the Lagos Golf Club the third in the hierarchy of the Club among the class designated as Office bearers.
The Lagos Golf Club then became a section in a Club with 4 other sporting Sections in 1938. The committee of the club was to consist of the golf captain and other members elected by the golf section. The old Ikoyi Club was to provide 4 committee members elected by them at their own separate meeting.
Today, it is a Section in a Club with Seven other sporting Sections.
Significant changes have taken place in the Club since 1938 viz:
1. The erection of boundary walls to demarcate our property
2. The creation of a lake on hole No.7 (1991)
3. The Huge Bunker on Hole 12 (1991)
4. Construction of a separate Golf Club House (1964)
5. Completion of the new Club House (1988)
6. The erection of concrete foot bridges and drainage to curtail flooding (1998)
7. Construction of a semi-automated irrigation system (2001)
8. Construction of greens (2001/2002)
9. Construction of floodlit driving range (2002)
The current membership of the Golf section in the books is 5,010 while the entire playing members number 2,105.
Publications have stated that it is the busiest golf curse in the world and certainly the most played surface in Africa all year round.
FACILITIES AT THE GOLF SECTION
The Club House
The Golf Shop
Outside Dinning Area
The TV Room