First Bank of Nigeria Victoria Island Lagos
Business Directory »
Banking / Finance »
About First Bank
FirstBank engages in the business of commercial banking and has a number of subsidiaries that focus on international commercial banking, registrars, trusteeship, capital markets, pension fund custodians, mortgage financing, insurance brokerage, management of SMIEIS fund investments, small-scale banking and bureau de change activities.
FirstBank has been through many seasons since 1894,
- from being the only bank in Nigeria for decades
- weathered the "banking explosion" of the 1930s to 1950s
- followed by an era of government ownership and control
- to a flurry of consolidations and then gradual growth in number of banks up to the early 1980s
- then yet another industry growth spurt in the early 1990s when the banking sector was deregulated
- leading to an industry shake-up in the late 1990s, which reduced the number of banks from 126 to 77
- and later resuscitation and growth to 89 banks
- leading to the recent shake-up to 25 banks
All through the seasons, FirstBank has remained resilient, dependably dynamic and “truly the first”
- Offshore Subsidiaries
- SME Funding
- Foreign Exchange
- Life Assurance
- Private Banking
- Diaspora Banking
The First Bank talent management strategy is aimed at supporting employee engagement, employee motivation and increased productivity, and leadership development across all levels of employees within the organisation.
In an effort to identify and acquire the right talents, First Bank invests in building a corporate structure that designs the right jobs and matches them with the right people.
- Engagement & Deployment
To make sure our Hires seamlessly transition into the First Bank team, we offer several initiatives to understand the new employee and connect them with the bank’s strategic goals. Through our on-boarding program and career discussions, we take the time to understand our employee’s long-term goals which is the basis for a mutually beneficial relationship for the new employee and the bank itself.
- Rotation & Cross Posting
As one of our greatest assets, First Bank strives to maintain a pool of multi-skilled and well rounded employees. Our initiatives like Job Shadowing, Coaching, Counselling, Mentoring, Succession Planning and Career Maps are keys to having a challenging and fulfilling career within the bank as well as developing and retaining talents at all levels of the organization’s operations.
- Diversity & Inclusion
First Bank is an equal opportunity employer. First Bank ensures that all staff are provided equal opportunities to participate in the Bank’s business, irrespective of gender, culture, age, nationality, disability or social background.
We take affirmative action to:
Training & Mentorship
- Provide equal opportunity in all terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, including but not limited to, recruitment, certification, selection, job assignments, working conditions, fringe benefits, compensation, training, transfer, layoffs, recall from layoffs, disciplinary actions, terminations or promotions.
- Discourage harassment of whatever nature in employment or service delivery on the basis of race, sex, national origin, age, handicap, or any other protected status is an unlawful employment practice and is prohibited in the Bank.
- Promote fair and equitable treatment to all employees, and shall comply with appropriate federal and state legislation by recruiting, hiring, training and promoting persons in all job classifications without regard to race, colour, sex, age, national origin, religion, handicap/disability status or sexual orientation.
- And, however notwithstanding the above provisions, FirstBank remains a performance-driven organisation and while providing a level playing ground, shall base decisions strictly on merit.
As a tenet of career development, First Bank creates a culture of continuous learning tailored to the needs and aspirations of the employees and the business itself. Through our First Academy and our learning centres scattered around the country, we have invested in e-learning, mobile learning, classrooms physical and virtual libraries to allow all our employees the opportunity to equip themselves for future roles that benefit both them and the organisation.
01-4619056, 8977249, 08023283658
15B Adeola Odeku Street, Victoria Island Lagos