Federal Ministry of Science and Technology
Business Directory »
Agencies / Organizations »
...harnessing technology for Nigeria's social & economic development
To facilitate the development and deployment of science and technology apparatus to enhance the pace of socio-economic development of the country through appropriate technological inputs into productive activities.
To make Nigeria one of the acknowledged leaders of the scientifically and technologically developed nations of the world.
The Ministry’s Vision, Mission and mandate which are distill into the above stated goals are presently through various specialized Research and Development (R&D) projects in our parastatal and agencies and particularly through the FMST flagship programmes The FMST flagships are as listed below:
- Information and Communications Technology
- Space Technology
- Power and Nuclear Energy
- Engineering infrastructure, Health, Traditional medicine, Education, Housing, Environment etc.
Honourable Minister for Science and Technology, Professor Ita Okon Bassey EWA
The choice of the flagship programmes was informed by government declared direction for present and future development of the country. Our activities are carefully guided by government’s development agenda as enunciated in the Harmonized Needs II, Seven Points Agenda and the MDGs documents. Thus, the programmes and activities of the Ministry are designed to implement government development agenda through exploitation of applied S&T. The table below succinctly summarizes the general and specific objectives of the flagships.
The mandates of the Ministry have been converted into eight (8) measurable and achievable goals which are itemized as follows:
- Formulation, monitoring and review of the National Policy on Science, Technology and Innovation to attain the macro-economic and social objectives of Vision 20:2020 as it relates to science and technology;
- Acquisition and application of Science, Technology and Innovation contribution to increase agricultural and livestock productivity;
- Increasing energy reliance through sustainable Research and Development (R&D) in nuclear, renewable and alternative energy sources for peaceful and development purposes;
- Promotion of wealth creation through support to key industrial and manufacturing sectors;
- Creation of Technology infrastructure and knowledge base of facilitate its wide application for development;
- Application of natural medicine resources and technologies for health sector development;
- Acquisition and application of Space Science and Technology as a key driver of economic development; and
- Ensuring the impact of R&D results in the Nigerian economy through the promotion of indigenous research capacity to facilitate technology transfer.
The Federal Ministry of Science and Technology is governed by the following leaders:
- The Honourable Minister
- The Permanent Secretary