Aflon Digital Academy is a Model Basic Education (Pre—Primary, Primary 1—6 and JSS 1—3) School for the application of Information and Computer Technology (ICT) in instructional delivery, school administration and management. We shall educate children and equip them with a wide range of vocational skills in the areas of Computer Graphics, Web Graphics and Multimedia Design, Electronic and Engineering Repairs. Each student will have a Personal Computer on his or her desk—the classroom and the delivery of all learning interactions will be managed digitally. Aflon Digital Academy will in essence produce graduants equipped with technology and technological skills that will stand them in good stead as they proceed further up the ladder of life.
e present Aflon Academy that was established in January 2005, with an initial intake of 60 students, and now having 220 students is transforming into Aflon Digital Academy (ADA). The Development Control Department of the Abuja Metropolitan Authority (AMA) and the Education Department of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) have both granted approval for the development of a 6 Hectares of Land—Plot No. CP 9, 11, & 12, Cadastral Zone AA2, Sector Centre B, Kuje; located just 5 kilometres off the Abuja to Airport expressway, adjoining the Kuje Trans-National Market. The school will therefore relocate and commence educational activities at the permanent campus as from September, 2007.
School Colours—Blue and Gold;
Motto—Aim to be the Best;
Beliefs and Values
While ADA is being established on a Christian Institution of the Baptist flavour, we SHALL not impose this particular system of beliefs on any member of the school staff or students. Rather we shall endeavour to create an atmosphere of freedom, tolerance and mutual respect for all forms of beliefs and or non-beliefs, seeking to emphasise what unites all humanity, as creations of God.
In practical Terms
Guided by the above stated mission statement and goals, ADA will:
encourage the continued development of the personal, moral and spiritual values that each student brings from his or her family and community as well as respect for the religious practices and beliefs of others.
- help each student achieve his or her individual potentials through the provision of a broad and balanced education which will equip each student with skills and appropriate knowledge;
- provide each student with the foundation required for successful attainment of life long educational attainment,
- provide for each student the opportunities necessary to develop aesthetic appreciation and the skills to develop creative ability;
- maintain for each student a programme leading to healthy physical development, especially by means of a well developed sports programme catering for a range of abilities and interests;
- encourage, through field trips and excursions, an awareness of our dependence on our physical environment and a commitment to its preservation;
- help each student to develop the life skills necessary to flourish in the modern world;
- develop in each student a sense of responsibility towards the school, especially by the provision of opportunities for service to the community;
- guide each student towards the development of personal qualities of self-respect, self-reliance, tolerance and compassion; and
In order that our students can obtain the most from their time at the school, we expect each student to
- come to school on time and be prepared at all times for classes and activities,
- ensure that the school is a good learning environment by respecting the learning needs of other students,
- help to make the school a tidy and pleasant environment in which to work,
- work to achieve the most possible within all classes and activities,
- respect the opinions and beliefs of others in the school community, and
- live within the school's rules and regulations.
3—D Impression of the Proposed
Mission and Vision
Aflon Digital Academy (ADA) is a Model Basic Education School for the application of Information and Computer Technology (ICT). We shall strive to make it possible for each student to develop his or her full potential in all spheres of human endeavour based on the application of technology. We intent to do this within the context of a sound academic structure, a secure and stimulating environment for all students, regardless of sex, creed or race.
Aflon Digital Academy, Kuje will be the first of
- Whereas, existing schools merely provide a one room computer laboratory, ADA will place computers with Internet connectivity in every classroom.
- We intend to provide boarding facilities starting from Primary 4 as from 2008. This will cater to the special needs of parents and guardians whose working and living conditions might make boarding option quite a necessity.
- Our less than 10 minutes location from the International Airport will create a special attraction to Nigerian in the Diaspora, who definitely will want Nigerian-based early education for their children
- The official school hours will be 8.00 am to 5.30 pm, with a one and half hour break from 1.00—2.30 pm for school prepared lunch and recreation. The extended closing time will afford parents of day students the opportunity of closing at work, before end of day pick-up of their wards.
its kind in Nigeria in many respects:
Aflon Digital Academy, Kuje.
Our goal is the development of the individual to be self reliant, applying the instructions of Almighty God that were issued right at the beginning of creation as embodied in the Holy Book.
God said … “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground.
… I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds of the air and all the creatures that move on the ground—everything that has the breadth of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” Genesis 1 28—30
Based on these divine principles that were part of creation, ADA will offer opportunities to all intending students to prepare themselves for participation in a rapidly changing world by applying the tools of technology; especially
Information and Computer Technology (ICT).In all, wIe plan to worship God, revere and marvel at His Might, while serving man and humanity with our talents and abilities developed to the highest possible level.
Aflon Academy is in being built to act a catalyst for community change. It is conceived as a public institution that is privately managed. Philosophical ownership actually belongs to the community; hence a Aflon Academy Council is being constituted to regulate the affairs of the School. The framework being considered will cover the following representations
- An outstanding achiever with technological background (Chairman)
- The Proprietor of ADA,
- Representative of the Chairman, Kuje Area Council,
- Two parents—male and female,
- Representative of the Department of Computer Science, University of Abuja,
- Representative of the DG, Nigeria Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA)
- A Principal of one secondary school in Kuje/FCT,
- Representative of the Nigeria Baptist Convention,
- School Principal (Secretary
Buildings and Facilities
All classrooms are to be air conditioned, and stand by Electricity Generator installed to assure power supply at all times On each desk seating 2 students will be a personal computer, equipped with multimedia leaning facilities. In each class will be Liquid Crystal Display (LCD) Projector equipment. There shall be a Cyber Café in aid of Internet and Computer Studies. The Cyber Café is to be powered by C—Band Very Small Aperture Technology (VSAT) equipment. This equipment will ultimately revolutionise the lives of all Kuje residents, as the benefits of advanced Information and Communications Technology (ICT) are brought to the reach of the rural community.
Student Hostels are zoned along the inner boundaries of the 6ha plot of school land
The school will be equipped with excellent modern facilities including a well equipped Resource Center and gymnasium, extensive Information Technology facilities with internet access for all students, Special Interest Music Center, Science Laboratories and research equipment, specialised technology studies workshops and hospitality areas and also dinning hall facilities.
Our approach to library services will be a radical departure from the norm in Nigeria. We plan to fully utilize the Internet as the source of all possible academic and educational information that is most current and timely. While some books would be kept as exhibits to help our students gradually acclimatize to the world of Electronic Books and Compact Discs, the Cyber Centre that will be powered by the VSAT facility that is being installed. Aflon Digital Academy in essence plans to maintain a Virtual Library.
Design and Technology Centre
- 2 Boxford 250PC lathes,
- 1 Boxford 300VMC milling centre,
- 1 Boxford 500HSR high speed router,
- 4 Boxford Duet milling and Turning centres,
- 3 CAMM1 plotter cutters,
- 2 CAMM2 plotter engravers,
- 50 AMD 600Mhz computers,
- 6 printers including a high resolution A3
Aflon Digital Academy is open to everyone without discrimination. In the next couple of years, the school will accommodate transferring students from other schools. But, before long, admissions will only be at Primary 1 level, to enable us infuse a distinctive character and personal trait of always aiming to be the best in our graduants.
For the 2007/2008 year, admission to the new JSS1 will be open to students aged above 10 years who have usually completed six (6) years of primary education. Applicants will be required to attach previous school reports to their application forms, as these may be used to determine placement upon entry. An interview and tests in English and Mathematics may also be required. In future years, sisters and brothers of students who currently attend the school will be accorded a level of preference, a sort of 'sibling rights of enrolment.' Application forms are obtainable at any time of the year.
The school discipline policy aims to encourage, develop, and acknowledge responsible, positive behaviour so that students and staff can learn and work effectively. The policy includes classroom and general school expectations and has clear and consistent consequences for irresponsible behavior. Within the guidelines of the MFCT Department of Education, the policy includes fines withdrawal from classes, and suspension from school.
Any of the following actions or a combination of these actions may be employed to direct students to improve their behaviour:
- counselling by teachers, guidance counsellors, the vice-principals, or the principal
- parent consultation by telephone or through meetings at the school
- exclusion from class for a specified time
- community work within the school property boundaries
- referral to social work agencies
- payment for or replacement of stolen or damaged goods
- withdrawal of privileges such as attendance at social events
- suspension from school for up to twenty days
- in extreme cases and when all else fails, expulsion from the school