Business Directory »
Personal Services »
Management / Consulting
About Accenture/ History
Continuous innovation and rapid transformation have been themes throughout Accenture's history, which the company traces to the 1950s with the installation of the first computer system for commercial use in the United States at General Electric’s Appliance Park facility.
The company built its reputation primarily as a technology consultant and systems integrator. By the late 1980s, Accenture began offering a new breed of business integration solutions to clients—solutions that aligned organizations' technologies, processes and people with their strategies.
Throughout its history, Accenture has expanded its offerings and capitalized on evolving management trends and technologies to benefit its clients. The company pioneered systems integration and business integration; led the deployment of enterprise resource planning, customer relationship management and electronic services; and has established itself as a leader in today's global marketplace.
Accenture is a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company, with approximately 259,000 people serving clients in more than 120 countries. Combining unparalleled experience, comprehensive capabilities across all industries and business functions, and extensive research on the world’s most successful companies, Accenture collaborates with clients to help them become high-performance businesses and governments. The company generated net revenues of US$27.9 billion for the fiscal year ended Aug. 31, 2012.
Our "high performance business" strategy builds on our expertise in consulting, technology and outsourcing to help clients perform at the highest levels so they can create sustainable value for their customers and shareholders. Using our industry knowledge, service-offering expertise and technology capabilities, we identify new business and technology trends and develop solutions to help clients around the world:
- Enter new markets.
- Increase revenues in existing markets.
- Improve operational performance.
- Deliver their products and services more effectively and efficiently.
We have extensive relationships with the world's leading companies and governments and work with organizations of all sizes—including 89 of the Fortune Global 100 and more than three quarters of the Fortune Global 500. Our commitment to client satisfaction strengthens and extends our relationships. For example, 99 of our top 100 clients in fiscal year 2012, based on revenue, have been clients for at least five years, and 92 have been clients for at least 10 years.
Among the many strengths that distinguish Accenture in the marketplace are our:
- Extensive industry expertise.
- Broad and evolving service offerings.
- Expertise in business transformation outsourcing.
- History of technology innovation and implementation, including our research and development capabilities, on which we spend approximately $300 million annually.
- Commitment to the long-term development of our employees.
- Proven and experienced management team.
Our Core Values have shaped the culture and defined the character of our company, guiding how we behave and make decisions:
- Stewardship: Building a heritage for future generations, acting with an owner mentality, developing people everywhere we are, and meeting our commitments to all internal and external stakeholders.
- Best People: Attracting and developing the best talent for our business, stretching our people and developing a "can do" attitude.
- Client Value Creation: Improving our clients' business performance, creating long-term, win-win relationships and focusing on execution excellence.
- One Global Network: Mobilizing the power of teaming to deliver consistently exceptional service to our clients anywhere in the world.
- Respect for the Individual: Valuing diversity, ensuring an interesting and inclusive environment, and treating people as we would like to be treated ourselves.
- Integrity: Inspiring trust by taking responsibility, acting ethically, and encouraging honest and open debate.
By enhancing our consulting and outsourcing expertise with alliances and other capabilities, we help move clients forward in every part of their businesses, from strategic planning to day-to-day operations.